It’s time for the 2013 Pregame Showcase, featuring interesting and lively presentations by some of the best professors on campus.
- From Body Casts to Butterflies, Graduate Student Spreads Beauty through ArtBody-cast sculptures. More than 5,000 handcrafted butterflies. A page-by-page illustration for a classic novel.
- Five PhD Students Named Tennessee Doctoral FellowsFive UT doctoral students have been named Tennessee Doctoral Fellows. These prestigious awards are funded by the Tennessee Higher Education Commission and UT’s Graduate School.
- Microbes Have Adapted to Live on Food that is Hundreds of Years OldMicrobial communities living in deep aquatic sediments have adapted to survive on degraded organic matter, according to a study coauthored by UT professors.
- WUOT Project Promotes Ken Burns’s Upcoming Country Music DocumentaryWUOT, the Knoxville NPR station licensed to UT, has received a $10,000 grant from the Corporation for Public Broadcasting for a five-part project to highlight Knoxville’s connection to country music.
- UT Research Team Develops Technique to Study How Nanomaterials FormA new form of electron microscopy allows researchers to examine nanoscale tubular materials while they are “alive” and forming liquids—a first in the field.
- Awkward Politics: Technologies of Popfeminist Activism
- Afro-Atlantic Flight: Speculative Returns and the Black Fantastic
- Racing Against Racism
- Poseidon’s Curse: British Naval Impressment and Atlantic Origins of the American Revolution
- Regeneration through Empire: French Pronatalists and Colonial Settlement in the Third Republic